Winter is almost over and Spring is just around the corner. For many families that means it’s time to start planning the annual family vacation. However for more families it means no money to spend on a week long vacation. Vacations don’t have to be extravagant and expensive. There are many ways to spend your vacation week other than at the beach or at a fancy resort. Here are some cheap, fun ways to plan a vacation for the family.
1. Take a hike. There are many national parks that offer great entertainment options and many of them are free. You can even save money on lodging by bringing along tents. Camping is a great way to relax with the family and safe camp sites can be rented for just a few dollars per night. Entertainment ideas include hiking, fishing, hunting, campfires, and many other opportunities.
2. Visit your family or friends. The biggest expense in planning a vacation is usually lodging. If you can find friends or family to provide a free place to stay, your biggest expense is covered. Even if it’s not the beach you can always find some local entertainment and visit somewhere new.
3. Find creative things to do in your own hometown. It might not sound very exciting but think of how much fun stuff you could do in your hometown if you didn’t have to pay for a hotel/resort and transportation. You may even consider doing a priceline hotel for a few nights where you live. You get to experience all the fun of being away from home such as the pool and spa, but without the transportation costs.
4. Visit national parks, museums or similar attractions. There are hundreds of these types of places to visit. Entry fees are usually very small or even free. Not only will you get away from the hustle and bustle of life for a few days, but you might learn something.
5. Check some last minute travel websites for great deals. I know this won’t fit into everyone schedules, but you have a flexible vacation time you may want to consider this. Often days or even a few weeks before hotels and airlines give great discounts. Do some last minute shopping and you may find yourself going somewhere tropical for pennies on the dollar.
Everyone should look forward to time away from life; however you don’t have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to do it. Search around, plan ahead and you can have a wonderful vacation while keeping the budget in check.